Friday 10 February 2012


The wooden cabin I’m renting is part of the croft where my landlord lives. He’s just taken off for the isle of Arran for a week so I’m truly on my own now. He’d only been gone a couple of hours when we had a power cut. I checked the trip switch Iain had shown me but quickly realised that there was no power in his house either. 

It was midday so Toby and I set off for Craighouse to see if the Jura Hotel had power and maybe some lunch.

As we approached Craighouse it was all looking a bit dismal.



I thought the Hotel was closed but discovered that the power was off over the whole island. People were eating and drinking at the bar but everything was running off a generator so there wasn’t much light. I ordered lunch. “The last power cut was over the New Year and it lasted three days!” I was told.

Arrrgh! My work schedule would be scuppered. Pathetic! A couple of hours without electricity and I start panicking. Of course the mains power came on five minutes later and everything was fine.

Enjoyed some lunch and set off for the cabin. The weather was still pretty gloomy. But it’s not 
always like this. Here’s a picture of Craighouse I painted on a lovely sunny day a couple of years ago.



Back at work I finished a colour rough for the Horrible Science 2013 Annual and sent off the first batch of line artwork to China for our Low carbon book. The internet booster Iain fitted in the week is working well.

It’s curry night at the Jura Hotel on Friday evenings so we'll drive back this evening and celebrate a happy week of remote illustrating with a Chicken Tikka.

No comments:

Post a Comment